Monday, March 22, 2010

The Monkees - "Forget That Girl"

It was discussed last night, that if we made a list of all of the bands that you would expect to hear within 20 or 30 minutes of each other at Hungry Beat!, the Monkees would be pretty low on that list. Not that that should be the case because the Monkees contributed some of the best pop songs to the overall history of pop music. "Forget That Girl" is my favorite.

I found a copy of Headquarters at Record Surplus in West L.A. a few years ago. I listened to the album once or twice, and for whatever reason failed to revisit it until recently. There's something nice about having other people go through your records. Almost inevitably they will present you with a new favorite song that has been in you possession, but gone unnoticed for far too long. "Forget That Girl" is my personal favorite example of this phenonmenon.

Chip Douglas left the Turtles for a brief period to produce a few Monkees records. Headquarters was one of those records, and to me it just sounds warm, and beautiful, and spotless. I can find no fault with the sound on that one whatsoever. The fact that Chip Douglas wrote the song "Forget That Girl" as well raises my opinion of his talent even further. In fact, in my very humble opinion the Clientele took an idea or two from this song...

No comments:

Post a Comment